Five Anti-Phishing Cyber Security Tips
From July 2020
Phishing, or tricking people into giving personal data by email, text, or phone, has been around for a while. Still, it’s not going away. Here are five tips to prevent phishing:
- Be suspicious of both unexpected text and emails. Emails aren’t the only way people phish.
- Hover over the link an email gives you before clicking; that can show you the actual URL. See if the actual web address seems legitimate.
- Check the actual email address (not just the display name) to see if it matches the name of the company.
- Don’t ever download an attachment from an unknown email.
- If a Word or Excel document asks you to enable macros do not enable them unless you’re 100% sure you need those macros. A macro can easily infect your computer with a virus or malware.
So, if you unexpectedly see this when opening your Word Doc or Excel:
DO NOT click enable.